The days when you could effectively mine cryptocurrencies on your home PC are long gone. Nowadays, only the inexperienced mining rookies or those who consider mining as a hobby that brings a few dozens of dollars to cover the telephone bills can resort to using this method. If you want to become a serious miner, then you can’t do without purchasing the professional equipment.
Which equipment is suitable for cryptocurrency mining?
Cryptocurrency mining, Bitcoin mining, in particular, is conducted on special equipment designed specifically for the purposes of obtaining blockchain-based digital coins. This equipment is called ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit). You can also mine cryptocurrencies using the socalled rigs which are comprised of highly-productive graphics cards. Each type of equipment has its own benefits and drawbacks which we will cover in this article:
- Doesn’t require additional assembly and special setting;
- Under certain conditions can be more profitable than rigs.
- The expensiveness of this type of equipment as well as its poor availability;
- The high complexity of repair;
- Generates a lot of noise and heat;
- Operates on a limited number of algorithms.
- Relatively high availability;
- The cards can be re-sold after they become obsolete in terms of mining efficiency;
- Produce little noise and heat;
- The possibility of mining multiple cryptocurrencies using various algorithms.
- Certain skills are required in order to properly assemble and set up this equipment;
- Powerful rigs take up a lot of space;
- Lower profitability compared to ASICs.
The best mining equipment
- A compact and productive mining rig;
- Consists of four AMD RX570/580 graphics cards.
- Relatively high price ($3000);
- Short-term warranty.
Shark Mining is a well-known company that produces quality rigs for mining cryptocurrency. The basic configuration of this device for mining cryptocurrency consists of 4 AMD graphics cards that can be easily replaced with Nvidia GTX 10170 Ti, which will allow you to get a slightly larger profit. Mining bitcoins on this rig can generate around $150 per month, but the final profit rate depends on a variety of factors.
Bitcoin Gold GPU Miner 2000 H/s
- Decent built;
- The possibility of graphics cards replacement.
- Short-term warranty.
The basic configuration of this mining rig from Ethereumminer includes 6 Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB graphics cards. The cost of this device fluctuates around the $3000 mark which is a decent price, given its fairly short payoff period. The graphics cards that go with the factory assembled rigs can be replaced with more powerful ones, thereby increasing the rig’s productivity and profit-making capacities. This, perhaps, is the best equipment for mining bitcoins in its class.
- A renowned manufacturer with a solid reputation;
- Highly energy-efficient;
- Relatively low price.
- High demand for this particular type of equipment;
- The complexity of repair.
The Antminer 9 is produced by Bitmain, one of the most reputable companies in the rig-making industry. The energy-efficiency of this device is explained by the fact that it consumes only 1450 watts of electricity (equal to 0.1 J) while it is capable of producing 13.5 TH/s of computing power. The price of Antminer varies from $3000 to $5000, depending on the availability of this rig on the market. Antminer is the best answer to the question regarding Bitcoin mining.
- Long-term warranty;
- No need to purchase a separate power supply unit.
- Low availability.
WhatsMiner M3 is a great alternative to Antminer 9. This device is capable of producing a solid 12.5 TH / s, although it consumes a bit more electricity 1,800 watts. This rig is produced by the Chinese company Pangolin Miner. The price of this mining equipment is almost two-fold lower than the price of its famous competitor $1,500. This is the price from the manufacturer, but, unfortunately, WhatsMiner M3 is at a scarcity nowadays, so you will probably have to overpay a hefty sum.